Sunday 20 October 2013

Palissy Cup and Saucer Set

The latest addition to my collection of teacups, found half price (£3) on a bits and bobs table outside a little shop in Castle Acre, Norfolk. Palissy is the brand name of English firm A E Jones and Sons, Longton, Stoke on Trent. So named as a tribute to Frenchman Bernard Palissy, creator of Palissy ware in the 16th century, who struggled for 16 years to imitate Chinese porcelain. Postwar Palissy pottery markings use the words 'Palissy, England', which is how my set is labelled. The factory closed in 1989 and the whereabouts of the factory records is not known. It's therefore difficult to trace the origin of individual patterns. Sources: Ask.com, thepotteries.org, worcesterporcelainmuseum.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Instagram

My posts have been fewer and fewer of late and so I've decided that to kick off the New Year and keep things simpler, I'll just be u...