Wednesday 20 January 2016

First Sew of the Year


What nicer way to start the year than to make what I hope to be a much loved project bag to hold all my supplies while sitting and crafting ...

I've attempted patchwork before and love the look of it.  It's such a calming and therapeutic thing to do while sitting cosy indoors.  I've tried squares, Dresden Plate and hexagon designs - all in varying states of progress - though the hexagon cushion cover is near completion and I finished a pincushion for an international swap some time ago.





For the bag, I'm using scraps of all my favourite projects over the past few years.  I've made 50 hexagons so far.  Seeing and using it will remind me of all the fun I've had taking part in sewalongs as well as the various outings I've been to in my creations.

I've been inspired to try patchwork by all kinds of sources, including places visited in the past and books read.

This crazy patchwork teacosy appears in a Milly Molly Mandy episode by Joyce Lancaster Brisley. One of my past projects was based on these stories - she always had outfits of pink and white stripes and I made a chevron skirt as homage!  I'll be sure to add some pink and white stripes to my bag ...


There are some wonderful illustrations in the books, a particular favourite of mine being the endpapers showing a map of the village where she fictionally lived.  This reminds me of patchwork too ...


Another inspiration is this covering, supposedly made by the three Bronte sisters, Anne, Charlotte and Emily from dress scraps.  It used to be on display in the 70's and early 80's at the Parsonage in Haworth where they lived and I remember seeing it there.  I believe it was out on display again for a short time just before this Christmas according to the wonderful blog http://kleurrijkbrontesisters.blogspot.co.uk/ where I found this illustration.




When I lived in the North, there always used to be trips to places such as York in the school holidays. This crazy patchwork covering is in the Castle Museum.

Have you any favourite patchwork examples you can tell me about?  Would love to hear about them ...

2 comments:

  1. I love patchwork too. I love the cathedral window quilt, as it has all the tiny different scraps in it..
    Know your bag will be gorgeous.. Enjoy making it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like cathedral window too Judy - I'd like to try out so many more patchwork styles ...

    ReplyDelete

Find me on Instagram

My posts have been fewer and fewer of late and so I've decided that to kick off the New Year and keep things simpler, I'll just be u...