Thursday 27 October 2011

MOSI

Otherwise known as the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, located in Castlefield.  This is where you need to go if you want to trace the story of textiles.  You can follow through on 'The Fabric Trail' from the growing of cotton to manufacture.  See machines demonstrating spinning and weaving, then how the finished cloth is dyed and printed.  The story begins around the time of the Industrial Revolution in the late 18th century and traces the development of the city into what was known as, 'cottonopolis'.  I always go here if I'm in the area because the museum is constantly changing and adding to it's collections and galleries.  I managed another visit on the way to Wales.  A few photos to give an idea of the place ... I seem to have focused on African prints this time.  Another claim to fame for the city, in that this is where they were (are, I think ...) manufactured for export.  I even managed to buy some, which I'll post after this.





All about William Henry Perkin, known for discovering mauveine dye, or, 'Perkin's Purple' 

Some of the print blocks used in manufacture



Bales of African prints

1 comment:

Find me on Instagram

My posts have been fewer and fewer of late and so I've decided that to kick off the New Year and keep things simpler, I'll just be u...